There was a time when CBD consumption was very scarce in the US. However, slowly, the industry is witnessing growth.
In fact, according to Loud Cloud Health, CBD availability had increased by a whopping 80 percent in 2018.
There are different forms of CBD available. One variant that is considerably much more accessible is CBD oil. Considering how vague the legality of marijuana is in the US, you might find it hard to access CBD oils, depending on where you live.
But, first, what even is CBD?
Before you wonder, “where to buy CBD oil near me?” you must first take a step back and understand what the product is all about.
CBD oil is a form of Cannabidiol. You might have recognized that the word seems eerily familiar to Cannabis. And that is because Cannabidiol is a chemical compound which is extracted from marijuana or Cannabis.
Why is CBD oil being talked about recently?
Well, this is because it delivers a lot of health-related benefits if used. For instance, research has shown that CBD oil can be used to reduce anxiety, seizures, inflammation, nausea, and pain.
When you think of Cannabis, you assume that it will be illegal and hence not easy to access. However, most CBD oils that are available in the various states of America are derived from hemp. And hemp products are not thought to be completely legal in the US.
But, CBD oil derived from marijuana are only legal in 11 states. Also, CBD oil is available in other states through specific medical-only programs.
The 2018 Hemp Farming Act
2018 witnessed quite a lot of favorable news for the marijuana and hemp industry. During this time, the Hemp Farming Act of 2018 was passed whereby hemp, as well as Cannabis containing less than 0.3 percent of THC, was removed from the Schedule 1 controlled substance list. This made CBD oil legal in all 50 states of the US. The only catch was that the product must contain less than 0.3 percent of THC.
The chemical responsible for the “high” feeling that one gets when they consume the drug is THC. With its absence, Cannabis and Cannabis-derived products are termed medicinal and hence are legal to consume.
All in all, CBD oil is legal in all states of America. You can easily purchase it over the counter on health stores or online.
A run-down state by state
While CBD oil will be readily available in all states, it is always a good idea to stay informed about the extent of legalization of Cannabis and related products in the US.
In the following states, medicinal and recreational use of Cannabis in the form of CBD oil is legally allowed. You need to be to meet the minimum age requirement of the states.
Additionally, here are the states where you can only purchase CBD oil if you have a medical marijuana card.
- North Dakota
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- West Virginia
- New York
Apart from this, some states only allow consumption of CBD oil if the following requirements are met:
- Alabama: In case of a server chronic medical emergency
- Georgia: With the presence of a prescription and the onset of particular debilitating conditions
- Indiana: You can purchase, sell as well as possess CBD oil as long as it doesn’t have more than 0.3 percent THC.
- Iowa: You can only get CBD oil from dispensaries if you suffer from conditions like ALS, cancer, or Epilepsy.
- Kansas: The THC content must be 0 percent.
- Kentucky: You can purchase, sell as well as possess CBD oil as long as it doesn’t have more than 0.3 percent THC.
- Mississippi: the CBD content needs to be less than 15 percent, while THC should be within 0.5 percent for CBD oil to be allowed for patients.
- North and South Carolina: CBD derived from hemp is easily accessible for those with severe medical conditions.
- Tennessee: CBD oil is only available in dispensaries and should not contain more than 0.9 percent.
- Texas: CBD oil is only accessible if CBD content is less than 10 percent, and THC is lower than 0.5 percent.
- Virginia: Only available if the prescription is sought from a licensed physician.
- Wisconsin: Medicinal prescription is a must for accessing CBD oil.
Considering that you can purchase CBD oil online as well, all you need to ensure is that the state you reside in allows the type of use of CBD oil that you have in mind! Now that you know that, purchase CBD oil accordingly.